What is SEO – and Why Does it Matter to Your Wedding Business?
As a wedding professional, you already know that most couples start their wedding planning process by venturing online. From choosing a venue, finding a local photographer or hiring a wedding planner, soon-to-be-weds use search engines like Google to find wedding professionals who can help to make their dream wedding a reality.
That’s why it’s essential for your wedding business to be visible to the couples searching for your skills, products, and services.
One of the best ways to increase your online presence and get found by potential customers is to use search engine optimization (SEO). SEO puts your website in front of brides and grooms looking to hire businesses like yours to make their wedding day come to life.
Not sure what SEO is, how it works, or why it matters for your wedding business? Let’s dive in.
What is SEO?
SEO is a type of digital marketing that helps your business website get more organic (unpaid) traffic by improving its rankings in the search engines (namely, Google). If your website is on Page 1 of the organic search results, that significantly increases your chances of getting found by potential customers.
There are a variety of tasks that go into optimizing your website for search engines, including:
- Creating valuable content
- Optimizing your site by including target keywords
- Ensuring your site loads quickly and is responsive on mobile devices
- Attracting high-authority links to your site
- Optimizing your images
- And more
And it’s important to understand that SEO isn’t something you do once and forget about; it’s a constantly evolving and ongoing process that needs to be implemented on all the pages of your site to keep your website ranking above your competitors.
SEO for Wedding Businesses
SEO helps businesses of all types get found in the organic search results. It’s especially beneficial for wedding businesses because couples frequently use Google to find local wedding planners, photographers, caterers, and more.
If you are tired of relying on the slow trickle of traffic from social media, Facebook Ads, or email marketing, then it’s time to invest in SEO. Rather than scrambling to generate new leads every month, you can use SEO to reach potential customers who are actively looking for wedding services like yours.
The 3 Types of SEO
There are three main types of SEO tasks, and your website needs all three of them in order to perform at its best.
In the same way that it takes many talented professionals all working together to produce the perfect wedding day, your SEO strategy requires multiple components to ensure your website ranks high in the search results.
This type of SEO includes everything that takes place on the pages of your website. Typically, these tasks have to do with optimizing your site to rank for the specific keywords your audience is using to search for businesses like yours.
Choosing keywords to use on your website – in your content, in optimized images, and in heading tags – is the first, most important step to on-page SEO. You want to do some research to find out what phrases searchers actually use to arrive on your website, and what they’re typing in when they visit one of your competitors.
Some of the most important elements of on-page SEO include:
- Keyword research – Finding high search volume keywords your audience is using to find your business and services (and those of your competitors’).
- Landing page content – Writing SEO-friendly content that attracts traffic and turns website visitors into new customers.
- Blog post content – Publishing regular, high-value content that informs your readers on what you do and how you can help them.
- Heading tags – Optimizing your web page headings with your target keywords to improve your rankings.
- Title tags – Including your target keywords in your web page titles to increase your traffic.
- Meta descriptions – Writing optimized descriptions that tell users what your content is about.
- Image optimization – Making sure your images load quickly, are easy to see, and contain your focus keywords in the image alt text.
- Internal linking – Including links from blog posts and pages to other important pages on your site.
All of these tasks aren’t necessarily difficult for you to tackle on your own, but they do take a fair amount of time to complete across your website. We highly recommend that you either set aside a regular block of time to make sure your website is completely optimized and capable of outranking your competitors. Alternatively, you can also enlist the services of an SEO professional to perform these tasks for you.
Your website doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and you need to make sure that you’ve got a well-optimized presence off-site to improve your business’s performance overall.
This includes things like checking that your business information is correct across your social media profiles, directory listings, Yelp and Google My Business accounts, and other platforms that exist outside of your website.
The internet is also a little like a popularity contest: The more high-profile websites that link to your site, the better off your reputation is with the search engines. Therefore, you’ll want to actively work to attract links back to your website in order to improve your site’s SEO.
If you’re able to create opportunities to get links from blogs, news sites, or other wedding vendor websites, you can help increase your website’s individual traffic and gain more business.
If your website doesn’t function properly – or loads super slowly – visitors are going to get frustrated and leave before ever reaching out to learn more about your services. With technical SEO, you can ensure that you don’t lose out on potential customers due to technical issues on your website.
Most technical SEO tasks are better suited to a web developer or SEO professional. Whether you go this route or decide to take a DIY approach, make sure that you cover:
- Site speed – Make sure your site loads quickly (under 3 seconds is ideal)
- Mobile-friendliness – Optimize your site to be responsive on mobile devices like smartphones or tablets so you can reach users who are searching on the go.
- Site structure – Your site should be easy to navigate and include optimized URLs so users can find what they are looking for with ease.
- 404-page optimization – If users do land on a “broken” page on your site, they should be directed to the most relevant or updated content so they don’t take their business elsewhere.
Why is SEO Important for Your Wedding Website?
Quite simply, if you want to attract more clients to your wedding business, then you’ll need to have a strong presence online. One of the best ways to get leads online is through organic search traffic, which comes from you optimizing your website for search engines.
If a bride or groom does a search for “wedding photographer in Italy” or “best wedding planner in Santorini”, they are actively looking for wedding service providers. If you fit the bill, you’ll want your website to rank for the appropriate terms so people will choose you over your competitors.
With SEO, your wedding business can:
- 2X your traffic (or more) by reaching more users on Google
- Create a steady stream of traffic and leads for your business, without having to invest in paid ads
- Publish high-value content your readers will love AND that attracts traffic to your site
- Generate traffic on autopilot for a lower cost than other marketing methods
- Drive phone calls directly to your business through Google My Business and other directories
- Establish itself as an industry-leading wedding business that stands out from local and even national competitors
SEO helps your website be seen by the people searching for your goods and services right when they’re looking, making it more likely that they will become paying customers. That gives you a better chance of growing your business and increasing revenue.
Without SEO, you may be missing out on potential customers who are actively searching for the services or products you have to offer. Make their wedding planning experience a little bit easier by showing up exactly when and where they are looking.
Have you implemented SEO for your wedding business’s website? If not, it’s time to get started!